Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Cookie Dough Cupcakes


I celebrated my 25th birthday on Sunday. I felt so blessed and a little spoiled for everything I received and all the time I spent with loved ones. I have been wanting to make these cupcakes forever and I was saving this recipe for a special occasion. I am quite fond of cookie dough, so I was very excited to make these! I finished reading the book Intuitive Eating and came across a term that enlightened a part of me. Early in my recovery I was told not to label food as good or bad; food is food. Now an apple isn't the same as a slice of apple pie, but knowing that a particular food is never off limits was huge in my recovery. "Play food"  is the term they used to describe a food that is simply for pleasure.Often times myself and nutritionists are perceived as perfect eaters, I have heard many times statements such as; "Oh, you wouldn't eat that, or that food is bad for you" and I especially like the one, "You would never set foot in that restaurant!."  I love the story Elyse Resch tells to illustrate this point about play food because it sums it up so perfectly. She states, "Much of what I eat considers my health and sometimes I eat things just for pleasure." Even play food has its place in a balanced diet! I chose to make cookie dough cupcakes for my play food and decided to not post nutritional information on these because sometimes food is just for pleasure! : )
Source: Intuitive Eating, Evelyn Tribole, M.S., R.D., and Elyse Resch, M.S., R.D., F.A.D.A., C.E.D.R.D.

Ingredients:
Cookie dough,click here for the recipe
1 box super moist yellow cake mix
3 Tbsp. softened butter
3 Tbsp. applesauce
2 eggs
1 egg white
Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tbsp. almond milk(or any other kind will work)
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
pinch of salt

Directions:
1. Make cookie dough as directed, but roll into 24 small balls and place in freezer for 1-2 hours
2. Preheat oven to 350
3. Line 2 cupcake trays with liners and spray with cooking spray
4. Combine cake mix, butter, applesauce, and eggs in a medium sized mixing bowl
5. Using an electric mixer blend all ingredients until smooth
6. Distribute batter evenly into tins
7. Place one cookie dough ball into center of cupcake
8. Bake for 15-20 min or until a toothpick comes out clean on cupcake portion
9. Allow cupcakes to cool and combine all ingredients for glaze
10. Once cupcakes have cooled spread on glaze and enjoy
Here's a preview for the hubby's play food!

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment