Thursday, December 19, 2013

Gingerbread Doughnuts with Maple Glaze

I am so excited for the holidays! Spencer and I just finished up school for the fall semester and are so happy it's over! This was one of the hardest semesters for me for a few reasons; first I started taking classes full time and trying to adjust to that and second I had organic chemistry. That class was definitely the hardest class I have taken so far. There was a point in the semester I actually considered dropping because I didn't want to fail. I kept working at it though and ended up with a B! I'm so grateful to friends and family for being supportive during these crazy times, we try our best to balance work, school, and having somewhat of a social life. Now, onto these doughnuts!! I am very happy with how they turned out, I used a mix of whole wheat flour and all purpose and subbed some of the butter for applesauce. Gingerbread is my favorite of all the flavors during the holidays! I hope everyone is enjoying the season and remembering why we truly celebrate this time of year! Enjoy :)
Ingredients:
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
2 Tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 Tbsp. molasses
1 large egg
3 Tbsp. almond milk(sub whatever other type of milk you have on hand)
For the Glaze:
1/3 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp almond milk
1 Tbsp. sugar free maple syrup

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray doughnut pan with nonstick spray
2. In a small bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, powder, spices, and salt
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the butter, applesauce, and brown sugar until well combined. Add the molasses and egg and mix thoroughly.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until combined
5. Using a small spoon and your finger distribute the batter into each doughnut hole, they will fill about 3/4 full. Smooth out each doughnut before baking.
6. Bake for 7 minutes.
7. Let doughnuts cool and mix together the glaze topping
8. Once doughnuts have cooled dip each doughnut into the glaze and place onto wire rack

Servings-6 doughnuts/Serving Size-1 doughnut/Calories-187/Carbs-34g/Fat-4g/Protein-3g
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment