Monday, September 24, 2012

Grilled Vegetable and Quinoa Salad

It has been forever since my last post! Last week was so crazy; I had 4 tests in one week and Spencer and I were trying to get ready for Vegas! With a combination of lack of sleep and stress my eating was not like it usually is. While on vacation I made some healthy choices, but also enjoyed the variety and yummy food! This week is going to be about taking care of my body and giving it the nutrients it needs to stay energized and focused. I decided to do a lot of clean eating this week, so cutting out a lot of sugar and flour. Alright time for the recipe, I have heard so much about quinoa, but decided to do my own research on it and I am now a big fan! Quinoa is not a grain; it is a seed from a green leafy plant. This little seed is so great because it is a complete protein and supplies all the amino acids. Quinoa is high in manganese, which can help maintain normal blood sugar, and is high in fiber and niacin, which have both been proven to lower cholesterol. It’s easy to digest and can be used in almost any recipe calling for rice or another grain. One more thing, it has a low glycemic index and less calories then a typically serving of rice! Enjoy:)
Ingredients:
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 red pepper-sliced
1 green pepper-sliced
½ yellow onion-sliced
1 zucchini-cut however you would like
1-2 garlic cloves-diced small
½ tbsp olive oil
4 cups washed spinach
Directions:
1. In a large skillet heat stove over medium high, add olive oil and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes
2. Add in onion and cook until soft
3. Combine the peppers in skillet for 2 minutes and add zucchini
4. Cook until vegetables are to your liking
5. Divide spinach between two large salad bowls, place a ½ cup quinoa onto the spinach, and garnish with veggies on top
Servings-2/Serving Size-1 salad/Calories-370/Carbs-71g/Fat-6g/Protein-13g
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment