Thursday, August 2, 2012

Healthy Chilaquiles

Alright, I’m back to craving Mexican food everyday! In Mexico on our vacation I made it a goal to have Mexican food at every meal! I know, duh you’re in Mexico isn’t every meal Mexican? NO! I first discovered chilaquiles on our honeymoon, and ate them every day we were there. I waited two years later to have them again, which was way too long. So, I’m making them myself now. These are completely WHITE GIRL CHILAQUILES!  Chilaquiles is a traditional Mexican dish that is made up of a mixture of stale tortilla chips, spicy red sauce, onions, and queso fresco cheese. They typically fry the tortillas in oil and cover with sauce and cheese. I let myself indulge in these on our vacation, but decided to make a healthier version that I can have everyday if I want! I baked the tortilla chips and added eggs for protein. These are so versatile. Use whatever you have in your fridge; like black beans, low fat cheese, or even spinach. Enjoy:)
Ingredients:
1 corn and whole wheat tortilla (Mission Brand)
2 medium eggs
¼ cup salsa
Chopped onions
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and cut tortilla into strips
                *You can skip this step if using store bought tortilla chips
2. Lay the tortillas on a baking sheet and coat with cooking spray, cook until slightly brown
3. In a small saucepan sauté onions until golden brown
4. Add eggs and tortilla chips; continue cooking until eggs are scrambled

5. Add salsa and any other toppings you may want
Servings-1/Calories -220/Carbs-21g/Fat-11g/Protein-16g

They aren't the prettiest, but they taste good.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment